Basic EMDR Training
EMDR Basic Training with the Personal Transformation Institute, meets and exceeds the EMDRIA requirements. The complete training includes 10 hours of consultation. Other trainings offer only 1 part at a time and do not include the cost of consultation in the total training package.
What about discounts? We have 2 ways you can get a discount:
Discounts are available for those that sponsor EMDR events. All employees of sponsoring agencies receive $400 off of the registration fee, that can be combined with the early registration discount for a total of $500 off! Please click here to fill out the form.
We also have a group discount. If 4 or more people sign up together each of you get 200.00 off, that is a total of 300.00 off if you register and pay by 30 days prior to the training date. We do not offer any other discounts at this time.
The 2 three day training periods cover the Adaptive Information Processing Model, the 8 Phase EMDR Therapy treatment approach, including adaptations for working with Children, Recent Trauma, Dissociation, Phobias and other specialties depending on the needs of the participants.
This training is informed by attachment and somatic therapies. Due to the intensity of trauma training, resources are taught and experienced throughout the training process as a way to keep participants engaged and emotionally regulated. These resources include somatic and attachment informed methods that are especially helpful in working with traumatized clients. By making the training safe, complex ideas simple and the atmosphere as fun as possible, the learning experience is optimized.
Required reading is Francine Shapiro’s new book, EMDR 3rd Edition, It can be found here Resources Page.
Upcoming Basic Training Events:
What discounts do you offer? Do you offer nonprofit discounts?
We offer 3 discounts:
1. Host agency discount:
Host a training and all members of your organization or group can get up to $500 off!
2. Group Discount:
Contact us if you have a group of 4 or more. You can get up to $300 off!
3. Early Registration Discount: If you register and pay in full 30 days prior to the training you receive $100 off.
We do this instead of offering discounts to groups like nonprofit, military or other groups. The group and early registration discounts are available to all.
What’s different about your trainings?
Online access to training videos - All participants are given access to our member’s section for a year! Once logged in, you can easily review training, demo’s and supplemental materials online.
Discounts on Advanced Trainings for members - The Basic Training is just the beginning and we offer more.
Build your EMDR local community - We train local Certified EMDR therapist to become Facilitators and Approved Consultants.
Learn resources by experiencing them - By staying attuned to the participants, we demonstrate keeping Social Engagement online with various resources and that helps facilitate learning!
Seamless Progression - We offer a seamless progression to becoming an EMDR expert. Want so see a flow chart explaining the progression? Click here.
Will I be “Certified” in EMDR after this training?
This training is the beginning of the requirement for becoming EMDRIA Certified. Completing an EMDRIA approved EMDR Therapy basic training is the first requirement toward becoming EMDRIA Certified.
After completing an EMDRIA approved basic training in EMDR therapy you will receive a document confirming completion. Some call this document a “certificate.” However completing the basic training does not make the clinician “certified” in EMDR therapy.
EMDRIA does offer a credential for therapist to become EMDR Certified Therapists.
- Completion of an EMDRIA-approved basic training program (our basic training meets this requirement).
- At least two-years of experience providing psychotherapy.
- At least 50 hours of EMDR therapy practice with at least 25 clients.
- At least 20 hours of EMDR therapy-focused consultation with an Approved Consultant.
- 12 hours of continuing education approved by EMDRIA.
- Letters of professional recommendation.
- Agreeing to EMDRIA’s Professional Code of Conduct.
Further information about EMDRIA Certification can be found on the EMDRIA website.
We offer a Certification Package that includes the 20 hours of consultation and the 12 hours of Advanced Training. Click HereThis meets through a webinar format and is over 10 months in groups of 2.
Why is it important to attend an EMDRIA approved Basic Training?
EMDR Therapy is a comprehensive approach to psychotherapy and not just a technique. The EMDR Therapy approach requires that you are fully trained in all aspects of the approach and not just the eye movements. It is only offered to therapists who have completed a graduate program or are in an internship. In order to offer EMDR Therapy to clients in a safe and ethical manner, the full EMDRIA approved program is recommended.
EMDRIA has established minimum standards for EMDR therapy training. These include:
- Reading Francine Shapiro’s text book.
- 20 hours of didactic learning.
- 20 hours of practice in the training setting.
- 10 hours of consultation.
Our program meets all of these requirements and has been approved by EMDRIA
There are 3 day workshops offered by organizations who are not approved by EMDRIA. Attending those workshops will not qualify you to go on to become an EMDRIA Certified EMDR therapist. You will also not be eligible to attend most EMDRIA approved Advanced Trainings. Many therapists who take these courses find that they are not equipped to safely offer EMDR Therapy to their clients. Many then go on to take an EMDR Therapy Basic training later.
Who is eligible to attend this training?
EMDRIA approved training programs in EMDR Therapy are open to mental health professionals who are licensed (or certified or registered) by their state or provincial government for independent practice of psychotherapy.
Training programs are also open to advanced graduate students, interns, and other mental health professionals on a licensure track, with a letter of support from their supervisor.
Clinicians who have completed or who are enrolled in a program in Art Therapy or Drug and Alcohol Counseling must submit detailed information to EMDRIA about their program in order to determine their eligibility. Read more about eligibility here.
What are your training requirements?
For Licensed Mental Health Professionals:
- Qualifying Medical Doctors must have a medical specialty in Psychiatry and must also be licensed to practice in their state or province.
- Qualifying Nurses must have a Master of Science in Nursing (or higher) with a specialization in psychiatric nursing and must also be licensed to practice in their state or province.
- Qualifying Mental Health Clinicians must have a Master’s or Doctoral degree in the mental health field (Counseling, Marriage Family Therapy, Psychology, Psychotherapy, Psychiatry, Social Work) or related mental health discipline considered appropriate by EMDRIA and must also be licensed to practice in their state or province.
- Mental Health Clinicians who have a Master’s degree in one of the following fields must submit their graduate transcript to EMDRIA to determine their eligibility: Art Therapy, Christian/Pastoral Counseling, Drug/Alcohol Counseling, and Music Therapy. These clinicians will also need to submit a copy of their license to practice in their state or province in order to determine their eligibility.
For Interns & Students:
- Qualifying graduate students must be enrolled in a Master’s or Doctoral program in the mental health field (Counseling, Marriage Family Therapy, Psychology, Psychotherapy, Psychiatry, Psychiatric Nursing, Social Work) or related mental health discipline considered appropriate by EMDRIA. Students must have completed their core graduate academic coursework and must be in the practicum/internship portion of their graduate program. First year graduate students are not eligible. Graduate students must be on a licensing track and working under the supervision of a fully licensed mental health clinician.
- Graduate students who are enrolled in a Master’s program in one of the following fields must submit their graduate course transcript to EMDRIA to determine their eligibility: Art Therapy, Christian/Pastoral Counseling, Drug/Alcohol Counseling, and Music Therapy.
- Students who would like to take the basic training will need to submit the following documentation to determine eligibility for registering for an EMDRIA Approved Basic EMDR Training: graduate transcript, practicum or internship hours, curriculum vita, and a letter from their current supervisor which includes the supervisor’s degree information, licensure information and license number.
Where can I find the latest research on EMDR Therapy?
EMDR Therapy is an effective and efficient treatment for Acute Stress Disorder and Posttraumatic Stress Disorders for both civilian and combat-related trauma for adults, adolescents and children. See this listing of Treatment Guidelines.
EMDRIA offers summaries of EMDR Therapy research here.
A summary of the latest research on EMDR Therapy with abstracts is updated quarterly here.
More information and a searchable database of all EMDR Therapy literature can be found here.
What about Continuing Education?
Our 6-Day S.A.F.E. EMDR basic training is co-sponsored by R. Cassidy Seminars, P.O. Box 14473, Santa Rosa, CA 95402 for (40)CE Hours.
Our live webinars are also co-sponsored by them and offer professional CE's as well as EMDRIA credits. The distance learning virtual webinars that are not live only offer EMDRIA credits.
Participants must have paid tuition fee, signed in, attended the entire seminar, completed an evaluation, and signed out in order to receive a certificate. Failure to sign in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available.
R. Cassidy Seminars is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to offer continuing education for psychologists. R. Cassidy Seminars maintains responsibility for this program. (40) CE hours
NY: R. Cassidy Seminars is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychoanalysts. #P-0005. (40) clock hours.
R. Cassidy Seminars, ACE provider #1082 is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. Approval Period: April 15, 2015-April 15, 2018. R. Cassidy Seminars maintains responsibility for the program. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers will receive a (40) continuing education (clinical) clock hours in participating in this course.
CA: The Board of Behavioral Sciences has deferred CE course approvals to APA and ASWB for its licensees. See those approvals under Psychologists and Social Workers
NY: R. Cassidy Seminars is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers SW#0006. This program is approved for 40 contact hours live in-person.
OH: Provider approved by the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board for (40)clock hours, #RCST110701
Counselors/Marriage and Family Therapists
CA: The Board of Behavioral Sciences has deferred CE course approvals to APA and ASWB for its licensees. See those approvals under Psychologists and Social Workers.
Other States: If your state is not specifically listed, nearly all state Counselor and MFT boards accept either APA or ASWB approval, or are reciprocal with other state licensing board approvals, such as those listed below. Check with your board to be sure. The Ohio Board includes Counselors and MFTs.
IL: Illinois Dept of Professional Regulation Approved Continuing Education Sponsor, #168-000141. For (40) hours.
NY-LMHCs: R. Cassidy Seminars is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board of Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed mental health counselors. #MHC-0015. (40) contact hours.
NY-LMFTs: R. Cassidy Seminars is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board of Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists. #MFT-0011. (40) contact hours
OH: Provider approved by the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board for (40) clock hours, #RCST110701
TX: Approved CE Sponsor through the Texas State Board of Examiners of Marriage & Family Therapists. For (40) credit hours. Provider #151
Creative Arts Therapists
NY: R. Cassidy Seminars is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board of Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed creative arts therapists. #CAT-0005. (40) contact hours.
Chemical Dependency Counselors
CA: Provider approved by CCAPP, Provider #4N-00-434-0218 for (40) CEHs. CCAPP is an ICRC member which has reciprocity with most ICRC member states.
TX: Provider approved by the TCBAP Standards Committee, Provider No. 1749-06, for (40) hours general, Expires 3/31/2018. Complaints about provider or workshop content may be directed to the TCBAP Standards Committee, 1005 Congress Avenue, Ste. 460, Austin, Texas 78701, Fax Number (512) 476-7297.
CA: Provider approved by the CA Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #CeP12228.5, for a maximum of (40) contact hours.
TX: R. Cassidy Seminars is an approved provider with the Texas Education Agency CPE# 501456. This course is for a maximum of (40) CE Hours.
Disability Access - If you require ADA accommodations please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.